Friday, May 24, 2013

Meet Lauren Barisic: Bachelor of Fine Arts, Fashion Design

"Inspiration for my collection was found within context as much as material references. The movie Charade, starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, was a significant source, in that the word “charade” can be interpreted with meanings beyond the well know game factor. 

It is the unknown, uncertainty, curiosity, and anticipation that surround the illusive mystery. Yet, the concept stands with a connotation of excitement. Such is the American spirit. I found a deepened camaraderie with the life and legacy of President Theodore Roosevelt, and his infamous daughter, Alice. The materials used reiterate this lifestyle, ever so contrasting, yet united as a whole. 

 Photograph by: Bryan Hu, Associates of Art, Photography

My aesthetic embodies the entire woman. It is the attitude she portrays that others wish to emulate, as much as her style–that American spunk and confidence. Her clothing is merely an extension of who she is–she is the “American Charade."

"I am originally from Fresno, California where I learned how to sew at the age of eight. I am the eldest of four siblings. My family is my source of inspiration because of their strong creative bond. When I was walking around New York City I saw two dresses which were the exact replica of the dress I had designed. That’s when I knew she wanted to be a fashion designer."


Q: Who is your role model?
A: My grandma is my source for inspiration. We are very close and have the same direction as far as motivation.


Q: What do you hope to achieve after graduation?
A: I want to have my own firm. A lifestyle brand for women’s wear.


Q: If you had the opportunity to work with any designer, who would it be and why?
A: It would be Ralph Lauren because the aesthetic embodies clothing for the whole woman; where she has been, where she going, and her influences.


-Lauren Barisic











(c) Lauren Barisic 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment