Monday, October 28, 2013

No Easy Feat: The Woman who Makes both Parents and Children Happy



 




Glop and Glam "About Us"
Meet Glop & Glam, the parent-approved, natural and organic hair care collection that deliciously combines style and functionality for infants, toddlers and tweens.
The beloved brainchild of rockin’ hair stylist momma Andrea Ridgell, Glop & Glam is popular among both parents and kids for offering honest, pure and fashionably fun hair care. Involved in the beauty industry since the early age of 16, Andrea knows more than just a thing or two about healthy hair care. After seeing a void in the market, Andrea, along with her husband Nathan, decided to develop a hair care collection that was both health conscious and kid-friendly -- Glop & Glam. Devoted to keeping kids safe, they uncovered replacements for every harmful ingredient inside the bottle while maintaining a sugar high of youthful energy. 

Why Andrea?
I chose Andrea Ridgell for my Entrepreneur interview because she embodies what every savvy businesswoman should adhere to: strength, intelligence, charisma, and drive. She takes calculated risks, with abundant payoffs. In addition, she runs a successful salon in Santa Barbara, and maintains a happy and healthy marriage to her High School sweetheart Nathan Ridgell, with two rambunctious boys ruling the roost.

  1.  Why did you choose to start this business?
There was a void in the market I felt I could fill! Glop and Glam is a product that kids WANT to use. It makes bath-time fun, and getting ready a treat.

  1. What keeps you engaged in its success?
Watching it grow and proving this undeserved market has a place in the industry. I think the amazing people that are high-up in the industry that I have had as mentors since I started, have let me know how rare it is to have a young woman and a hair stylist be the owner of a hair product company! And that the big companies are watching me to see if we can be the first to pull it off! That gives me purpose to make this be a success!




Mariska Hartigay, Oscar De La Renta and Andrea Ridgell. Glop and Glam styled hair for Oscar De La Renta's children's line runway show

  1. How do you juggle the priorities in your life; your family, your salon, and your hair-care line Glop and Glam?
My family has to come first. No business will ever be put before them because at the end of the day they are my driving force. It is always hard and is something I don't have down perfect as an entrepreneur and ultimately it comes down to me sacrificing time for myself.
 
 Husband Nathan Ridgell, boys Kaden and Kashton, Andrea Ridgell

  1. Who is someone what you admire/aspire to be? What characteristics do they inhabit to which you admire?
As far as hair, definitely Vidal Sassoon he was a pioneer in the industry and forever changed how people looked at hair stylist. I remember reading an article he wrote when I was sitting on a train when I was sixteen it talked about how far passion can take a person. He also said, “If you are a hairstylist you are a true artist.” I had tears running down my face because that was the first time I had heard someone say that my true passion was art. Plus it came from someone I truly admire and whose career I aspire to have!

  1. What qualities do you feel a good entrepreneur should have?
First and foremost you need passion and then secondly, an extremely strong work ethic.

  1. Do you view obstacles as an opportunity or a barrier? Why?
It depends on the obstacle, but usually it is way for you to learn and then grow your business for the next obstacle…because believe me there will be a next one.

7. What is your favorite quote? Why?
"Entrepreneurship is like jumping off a cliff with a parachute with holes in it and trying to patch each hole in midair before you hit the ground." That is what it feels like at times.

  1. What tips, advice would you give someone who is considering starting their own business/innovative idea?
Stay focused and realize it docent come easy but will be rewarding after you have put the hard work in.

9. What are your future plans for Glop and Glam?
Continue to grow the brand, and then sell the company!

1        10. What do you do outside of Glop and Glam that makes you happy and content?
I love spending time with my family/ kids and working on my house. I love renovating “fixer-uppers” and restoring them into their original beauty. I guess that’s the artist in me.
 
Ashley Greene and Andrea Ridgell


Andrea Ridgell, Pamela Anderson and Glop and Glam CMO Allison Lee






3 comments:

  1. I found that Glop & Glam is an amazing brand with a clear focus. Products for kids are a great growing market because as parents, people are willing to provide the best for their children! Just Don't Sell Your Brand Once It Makes It To The Top!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like Glop & Glam is an successful business venture because it's innovative and healthy for kids. Parents would definitely buy the product if they want their children to have great hair without having to put any bad chemicals into their hair. I feel like Andrea shouldn't sell the product once it makes it to the top because she could build other business ventures around it and what if the product gets even more successful and she didn't realize it that it was a bad choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that Glop & Glam was created by a husband and wife team!! The fact that they have toddlers of their own help drove them to create something safe for the environment and their children.

    ReplyDelete