Monday, May 5, 2014

Behind The Seams Interview: Mikel Rosen, Revolutionizing The Fashion Industry


Mikel Rosen- SF Gate

A strong fashion force in the evolution era of fashion; Mikel Rosen is a man all about creativity and thinking outside of the box. Known to many as one of the leading fashion innovators around, I was lucky to have the pleasure of receiving instruction from one of the greatest legends in the fashion industry today. 

Bangkok International Fashion Fair

I met Mr. Rosen in spring of 2012, at the Art Institute of California- San Francisco, in his Introduction to Fashion Industry class. When first interacting with Rosen, I didn't quite know how to... how should I say it? "Be myself around him”. I was constantly informed about all of his great achievements; for instance, being one of the founding members of London Fashion Week in 1982, teaching students such as, Alexander McQueen, Phoebe Philo, Giles Deacon, and teaching at institutions such as Central St. Martins College of Art and Design in London, Academy of Art of San Francisco, and of course, the Art Institute of California- San Francisco. 

Fashion Installation Event AICA-SF

Over time, I've learned to get over my anxiety and just simply accept every piece of wisdom that was thrown at me when taking Rosen's courses. To my surprise Rosen has the ability to push his students’ current vision beyond measures, if they allowed themselves to do so, that’s why I have chosen Rosen to interview based on his fashion career successes.

Fashion Installation Event AICA-SF


Below are interview questions asked:


1. Name a time where you had fight yourself of loads of work, pertaining to your company. How did you handle it?

MK:
My busiest time was during the 80's and 90's
 I didn't even realize it at the time.
I just did it.
I participated in over two hundred events from 1986 to 92,
While running PR and/or Marketing for 17 to 23 clients,
Designing a menswear license in Japan, and teaching
a course I established at St. Martins fashion school London.
Yet, having three of my company directors with their own teams to help made a huge difference in getting things done.


2.  Describe the process and benefits of running your own business.


MK:
A personal creative process is allowed that provides knowledge and wisdom from the experiences and the destiny is one’s own choice


 3. What motivates you to put forth your greatest effort?


MK:
A passion for what I do

4. How do you evaluate or determine success?

MK:
Discovering things that are put together in a new way,
from things that were put together in a new way before.
 Nothing is new.
How it is reinvented creates success.


 5. Did you feel prepared to start a venture at the time you started it?

MR:
I didn't think any other way, I just went for it.

6. In what kind of work environment are you most comfortable?

MR:
A hands on, all action, environment.


 7. What two or three things would be most important to you in your job?


MR:
Respect and Trust


 8. How do you gain inspiration?


MR:
-From Age and Youth
 -Travel and Taste
-Corridors of my mind
-Then Research and Development





Check Mikel Rosen at:
http://www.mrmikelrosen.com/
http:www.blogger.com/behindtheseams




  

No comments:

Post a Comment