Monday, October 28, 2013

Here Comes Entrepreneur Johleena!


My name is Chelsea Tran and I chose Johleena Tolentino as an entrepreneur to interview because she is one of my friends in The Art Institute of California-San Francisco. She is the most driven and motivated person I've ever met and she is always trying to build up her career.  She inspired me to work harder and she always gives me some encouraging advices that helped me deal with my work life and my school life.

Can you please tell us a little about yourself and your business? What do you do? How do you do it? Why do you do it and who do you do it for?
Johleena: I've always been a business person. I've been a part of different businesses but currently, as a side gig, I'm part of a start up company called Trumaker, which is a built-to-fit men's apparel clothing company. This company has a great concept. Basically, I set up appointments with a client either at their home or office, show them different fabrics they can choose from, measure them and go over little details such as: what type of cuffs, collars, placket no placket, etc. Everything is built to fit and customized to their body type. The reason I love this company is not only does it have to do with mens fashion but it turns into personal styling. You build the relationship and rapport with them and they begin to trust your style and decisions. I enjoy giving people fashion advice and building a wardrobe for them.

Since you became an entrepreneur, what have been your most outstanding accomplishments in the context of business?
Johleena: Time management is one of the accomplishments I can say I have learned and not necessarily mastered but definitely have gotten down. Time management helps me stay discipline with being in school full time, working full time and being a young entrepreneur. I've always progressed with my sales skills and communications skills. I was always able to reach my sales goals and build client relations. Building sales also helps me network with other successful business people.

Where there any key incidents or life changing events that inspired your decision to become an entrepreneur?
Johleena:  I’ve wanted to be an entrepreneur ever since I was a kid. My family helped inspire me a lot. And my uncle, brother and older cousin were my inspiration because as I was growing up, I was watching them being businessmen. They were always driven and motivated by money, which inspired me to feel motivated too.

Is there a time when you had to take responsibility for mistakes?
Johleena: There are always consequences. When I was learning about life insurance, I was my own manager. I had to play a huge role and take ownership of my business. What I had to do was to tell people what their funeral imprint was and dealing with real life situations. I had to deal with the crucial process and seriousness that come with that situation. I would make human mistakes and would have to fix that. It wasn’t as easy as what others thought it was.

Are you the type of person to always blame yourself for mistakes and successes?
Johleena: Yes, life is full of choices. You have to make a lot of choices as a person; you have to be accountable for your actions.

What would you say is your key driving force when you first started out in your business?
Johleena: My family is always first in line and they have always been my driving force to be a better person, peer, and entrepreneur.

Was there ever a time when you felt really lazy and didn’t feel like doing anything?
 Johleena: Absolutely. I think that everyone has their days where they don't want to do anything but RELAX! When you work hard, I believe that you owe it to yourself to have some R&R and treat yourself to a mani/pedi, shopping, facial & a massage. Or just a day to rest and chill out because when you have that day to yourself it makes me push harder to go for what I want.

Would you call yourself a person who likes to keep control over all aspects of your business? If yes, why is that so?
Johleena: Yes, since I was a kid I've always been somewhat of a leader - with my set of friends, cousins etc. At every job I've had, I've been fortunate to be placed in management and that entails a lot of leadership skills and taking control of your business/store. When I was in life insurance and being an independent contractor, you had to take control over your business. Not only did leadership come naturally but in my eyes, who’s better to control your own business but yourself?

What is your personal life mission as an entrepreneur? That is; what contributions do you want to make with your life or what would you like to be remembered for as an entrepreneur through the businesses you create when you die?
Johleena: I want to be able to help people in anything in life whether it business, my fashion career and even on a personal level. I want to be remembered as that person who always had the right words to say at the given time. I want to be remembered for my good work ethics, my hustler mentality, and my love for God and my family. "Work hard, play hard" is always a motto I go by. Another saying is, "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve." I believe that with anything in life whether is personal or business oriented -- you can achieve anything in life if your put hard work into it. 

How do you identify business opportunities and what metrics do you use to measure their viability?
Johleena: I believe business opportunities are everywhere. If it’s something I'm interested in I would take the risk and work to my ability to succeed. If I don't, I know I tired and that's what counts.

Have you ever felt like you will give up any time?
Johleena: Honestly, especially in life insurance, yes. I think that as an entrepreneur you will give up mentally more than a million times but personally speaking that makes me push harder. I believe that you have failed in order to succeed in life. If you've never experienced failure how would you know the true definition of success?

What is your take on the general notion that entrepreneurs should build a business around what they naturally love to do?
Johleena: I absolutely agree 110%. I believe that if you love what you’re doing, you will only succeed 10 fold because you love it! I don't think anyone should not wake up not loving what they are doing in life. If you find your craft in what you love, go for it and share that with the world! You're the expert in what you love and believe in!

Are you a person who always goes with your gut feeling?
Johleena: Yes, I always go with my gut feeling. I think that I have a good judgment when it boils down to "gut feelings."

Was there ever a time where you thought that you had too many ideas going on and you wanted to prioritize them?
Johleena: Yes! Always. I feel like my mind is constantly racing with ideas and dreams that I want to obtain. It's funny because my brother and I are constantly coming up with great business plans and concepts that maybe up and coming.

Are you the type to always think of new ideas and act on them?
Johleena: Yes, ideas, concepts and goals are constantly popping up in my mind! I'm also a realist, so if it’s an idea that I know I can achieve and work towards, I will work hard achieving it.  I must say that if I have my mind set on it I will do anything to obtain that!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it amazing how Johleena has taken her family's influences and truly made them work for herself. Also, the determination for success is admirable and I applaud her! I hope to come in contact with this entrepreneur and see how much her business expands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johleena is an inspiration to all young entrepreneurs!!! Her drive and passion to succeed is very admirable.

    ReplyDelete